Thursday 25 July 2013

Begali HST First impressions



At long last, my new Begali HST single lever paddle has been wired up and tested…..

It feels very different to my signature model and I suppose it will take a while to get used to it.

It is way too early to give any meaningful feedback, but my early opinion is:

  • The paddle “feels” like a million Dollars, zero mechanical play and easy to adjust.
  • The single paddle feels rather odd, very different from a dual lever; I think I prefer this new feel of the single lever.
  • I love the oversized handle, suits my style of sending.
  • I don’t miss the iambic squeeze mode at all, never really got to use it correctly anyway.
  • The HST might be ugly, but it is the real Mc Coy…..

73, Pierre ZS6A

6 comments:

  1. We will work soon Pierre - HST to HST.

    I'm off to PE tomorrow for the RTA. I'm still working hard at getting the swing of Cootie mode, but its improving.

    73
    ZS6BTY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vincent,

    I have no interest in using the “cootie mode” I did not even connect the wire that enables the mode.

    The single lever takes some getting used to, but I think I like it.

    One day I suspect Pietro Begali will produce the same paddle, but using a better looking base and covers for the working bits. Imagine the HST made out of solid stainless steel like the Sculpture model (without the fancy bevelling, just a simple bevelled block of SS) or with a palladium base like he does with some other keys.

    Pierre ZS6A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pierre I have had the Begali Contour for some years now (not a single lever) and am very happy with the key.
    Mike
    VE3WDM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike,

    I recon the Begali keys and paddles are most likely of the best available to us.

    The single lever HST is quite different to using a dual lever paddle. Only time will tell, but I suspect that the single lever paddles will become more popular if and when others give them try.

    73, Pierre ZS6A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pierre, my determinitation to use Cootie mode has more to do with bloody mindedness than logic. I want to do it the hard way.

    Maybe it also has got something to do with my Irish ancestory !-)

    On the other hand, I can send CW on a paddle without a keyer -now that sits at the heart of the simplicity that I associate with CW & QRP.

    ZS6BTY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards,
    Kitchen Faucets

    ReplyDelete